My Recipe For ‘Végé Paté’
Soaking or fermenting grains,seeds and nuts, is a traditional practice that helps make them more digestible, by reducing phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors for better nutritional value, absorption and digestion.
It’s done by soaking them in water in a warm place or with an enzyme rich addition like raw apple cider vinegar, whey, yogurt, or kefir for a period of time. Sprouting grains, seeds, nuts and legumes is another way to reduce nutrients inhibitors. It enhances the texture of whole grains, eaten raw or cooked. You can also make this recipe grain free by using ½ cup of chia seeds and ¼ cup additional pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
- 2/3 cup or Engevita or nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup quinoa prealably soaked overnight and rinsed. Or a combination of 1 / 2 cups quinoa and 1/4 or chickpea flour.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds prealably soaked for 6 hours or overnight and coarsely ground.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 large branch of celery grated
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 1 medium potato grated
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice table
- 4 tablespoons organic tamari sauce ( can use brag instead)
- ½ teaspoon of thyme
- 1 tablespoon teaspoon basil
- 3 tablespoons of dried stinging nettles
- Herbamare salt( optional), pepper to taste
- 1 cup warm water.
- Black or regular sesame seeds unhulled.
- Generously oil a 20 x 10-cm (8 x 4-inch) Pyrex or stainless steal pan and sprinkle its base with the sesame seeds. Set asides.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a food processor, grind the pumpkin seeds and set asides in a large bowl
- Grate the potato, onion, celery, carrot, garlic and add to the seeds in the large bowl as well as the remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the oiled pan and spread it out 1 1/2 inch thick onto a dish going to the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour it with a wooden spoon. Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour or until the végé pâté begins to brown and the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
- Let cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Unmould and slice. Will keep for one week in the refrigerator. Can also be frozen.
There you go! Enjoy your meal!